Maple Creek Horsewoman Is First Miss Rodeo Canada From Saskatchewan In 21 Years

source: Farm and Food Report

She’s 18 years old; a veritable ball of fire on a horse; and, since November 12th, Christa Lawrence is also Miss Rodeo Canada 2005 — crowned Queen of the Canadian Rodeo tradition at the recent Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton.

“A lot of my friends are kind of shocked because I was known as the tomboy in school. They are quite shocked to see me all glitzy the way I am today, but they are extremely proud and support me all the way,” admits the enthusiastic Maple Creek native.

And really, this is a pleasant development for the province. “I’m the third Miss Rodeo Canada from Saskatchewan, but there hasn’t been one in 21 years, since 1983 when Kathleen Kornelson was Miss Rodeo Canada.”

Becoming Miss Rodeo Canada is no small achievement. “You first have to win at a Pro Rodeo. I was Miss Rodeo Maple Creek in 2003. Then the Rodeo Queen Committee sends you on to Rodeo Canada. There is a horsemanship part of it, public speaking, and modelling, personal interview. You are judged on personality and appearance every day.”

The process is a tad more demanding than your regular pageant. “Horsemanship is the most important part. If you can’t ride a horse, you can’t be Miss Rodeo Canada. You are handed between five and seven different horses you have never been on before and you must go through patterns to demonstrate your skills as a rider,” explains Lawrence.

“I grew up on a ranch southwest of Maple Creek, strictly cattle, so my expertise I would say is in the cattle industry. I’m fifth generation on my ranch actually. I was brought up with horses. My grandpas were great teamsters; my dad was a jockey.”

Above all, Lawrence dearly loves these beautiful creatures that play such a central part in ranching activities. “Horses are extremely bright; they are a willing animal; they want to work for you and that’s the best part about them. I consider them as a partner or friend, not as my tools…they are my tools to get the job done. But they are a friend also more than a machine.”

Ms. Lawrence now has a world of opportunities ahead of her, as she will get to travel over the next year much beyond the Great Plains region she is familiar with. “To me it’s a privilege and an opportunity for my skills to grow during the year. I just graduated from high school, so this could open millions of doors for me. Plus I’ll get better with the public. It’ll just help me in the future, in whatever job or career I decide to do.”

On that particular topic, Miss Rodeo Canada 2005 is currently weighing her options. They certainly will include honing her horse skills. “I possibly want to continue in College Rodeo and also take a farrier course or animal health technology. I’m considering a farrier’s course because I’ll hopefully go on to train horses. Their feet have to be taken care of. It is crucial to looking after horses.”

There is no denying Lawrence’s passion for her chosen sport: “I want Rodeo to grow and I want Rodeo to carry on its traditions the way it is right now. I thought why not come out and be the ambassador of Rodeo.”

She has other interests as well, among which is basketball during the winter; and, she is also an artist with a fondness for pencil and watercolour works. But there is no ambiguity as to where her loyalty lies. She absolutely adores Rodeo: “The excitement, the thrill of it; watching everybody compete; the timed events; rough stock; I like both ends of the arena. I love the barrel racing. I think it is the speed of the event that I like. I like to go as fast as I can. That’s why I like to do a presentation lap, where you fly around and wave. That’s the part I enjoy most. Then I also carry the Canadian flag.”

As to future dreams, guess what: “One day, I’d really like to be a pro barrel racer right here. That’s kind of a goal I’ve set for myself. I don’t know if I’ll reach it but I’ll work on it.”

Long may you ride, Christa Lawrence.

Comments